- 1 What should I do with my hair while transitioning?
- 2 How do you wash your hair when transitioning?
- 3 How often should you moisturize transitioning hair?
- 4 Does hair grow faster after big chop?
- 5 How do I style my hair when transitioning to natural?
- 6 Is Silk Press Good for transitioning hair?
- 7 Should you air dry transitioning hair?
- 8 How do I stop my hair from breaking when transitioning?
- 9 How long does it take to transition to natural hair without big chop?
- 10 How do you tell if your hair is over moisturized?
- 11 How often should I moisturize my 4b hair?
- 12 How often should I moisturize my twists?
What should I do with my hair while transitioning?
Let’s break it all down with 10 transitioning hair tips.
- Be patient.
- Cut when necessary.
- Deep condition often.
- Plan out your protective styles.
- Cut back on heat styling.
- Don’t stress the shedding.
- Avoid drying ingredients.
- Focus on scalp health.
How do you wash your hair when transitioning?
Transitioning hair is best washed head upright in the shower. Leaning over encourages hairs to fall across one another and tangle. One of the other main things you must avoid doing when washing is piling your hair all on top of itself, mingling roots and ends.
How often should you moisturize transitioning hair?
Some people may need it more frequently while others will only need it once every 2 or 3 months. Your hair care practices also have a say here. So you see, this is a case where too much of a good thing can actually make things worse.
Does hair grow faster after big chop?
While there is still some debate about it, hair that is freshly cut does not necessarily grow faster. When you cut your hair, you cut the bottom of the strand, therefore, the two are not related. There are a few reasons why people might think hair grows faster after the big chop.
How do I style my hair when transitioning to natural?
NaturallyCurly has prepared the top 10 hairstyles suitable for transitioners.
- Fake ponytail. A simple but easy solution to the awkward transitioning stage is wearing a fake ponytail.
- Roller sets.
- Hair wrap.
- High puff.
- 2 stitch braids w/curly ends.
- Faux locs.
Is Silk Press Good for transitioning hair?
“You can alternate protective styles like braids and weaves. You can also wear wigs. Another way is silk pressing (a process in which the hair is straightened with heat) — this option will keep your natural hair manageable throughout the transition process while looking like ‘yourself’ through the journey.
Should you air dry transitioning hair?
Minimize heat It’d be wise to minimize the heat you put on your hair when transitioning. For some, constantly applying heat is probably why you’re transitioning in the first place. So air dry your hair, use protective styles and learn how to blend your two textures until the damaged ends are gone.
How do I stop my hair from breaking when transitioning?
How to Minimize Breakage During Your Transition
- Keep it stretched. One way to see less tangles and therefore less breakage is to keep the hair as stretched as possible as often as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to trim.
- Stick to one style.
- Be patient when detangling.
- Bye-bye Shampoo, Hello Conditioner.
How long does it take to transition to natural hair without big chop?
This depends on how quickly your hair grows and the desired length. On average hair grows 1/2” per month, which is about 6” per year. If one were aiming for 12” of all natural length, 2-3 years would be a good estimate.
How do you tell if your hair is over moisturized?
Limp, gummy, or mushy hair — If your hair feels limp, gummy, or mushy when wet, then that is a strong indication that your hair is over-moisturized. If you think you may be experiencing hygral fatigue, it’s always best to immediately seek help from a hair care professional.
How often should I moisturize my 4b hair?
While we recommend most customers deep condition every 2 weeks, 4C hair, in particular, thrives with weekly deep conditioning treatments.
How often should I moisturize my twists?
Every night before going to bed, I make sure to moisturize my hair, using my spray bottle, much like when I’m wearing twist outs!